Annie's Travel Guide

Life is hard...One should work hard and play harder.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Handedness in Instruments

Was having dinner with a friend who's left-handed today. Even though I write and eat predominantely with my left hand, I play racket sports with my right.

The conversation proceeded to playing musical instruments and she has highlighted how being a lefty has made it more difficult for her to play the piano - since her left hand is stronger, the base notes naturally sing out more than the right.

So, does that make piano an instrument designed more for right handed players?

I have always thought about playing musical instrument as a co-ordination exercise, but today it seems quite subtle that certain instruments are designed for right-handed player and some for left-handed players. Violin for instance is pretty much a left-hand focused instrument.

Interesting...no?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home