Annie's Travel Guide

Life is hard...One should work hard and play harder.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Taiwan

Second time back in less than half a year! And I'm going back again in September! It's been one of the better breaks back home, salute to Shun for coming to keep me sane!

Took the chance to go and take vain salon photos before my 26th. It is not easy being a star afterall. Five changes of clothes and makeover took almost 8 hours. Taking shots at desired camera angle almost require the body to be in advanced astanga yoga positions. I loved the makeup piled on me, though removing the caked layer at the end of the day required scrubbing my face three times. Here's a preview!

Believe it or not, it is the first time I independently travelled in my home town! After getting lost at the Taipei train station and nearly catching the wrong train due south instead of north east (hardly my fault, 瑞芳 and 瑞穗 are only one character apart!), we made our way to PingXi. It was really good to experience what culture Taipei has to offer, with nice friendly locals and shops set up right next to the rail track. It was almost the individual shop owners' responsibility to ensure over excited tourists do not get runover by the oncoming train whilst sending hopeful-message-packed skylaterns up to the sky. We also managed to catch fireflies before we departed for the food extravaganza at the 基隆nightmarket that is conveniently integrated in with the local temple. The highlight must be the glaring stare of the slushy ice store owner when Shun told her he wanted a list of ingredients in his dessert, only to be told to go next door to get a bucket because the biggest bowl she had to offer would not be able to cater for half of his options.


We also went for a six star massage in Taipei. It felt so nice and I almost wanted to go home and nap after the morning massage.

Yino took cousin and I to 苗栗, where we visited the strawberry village and the famous tofu street. We then visited the land her fiancee bought and it was really exciting to pick your own bamboos and peaches. We left the mountain enchanted by hundreds of fireflies. The scene is uber romantic and something that will be imprinted in our memories.

The last weekend was devoted to climbing of 承天禪室, the temple that I was named after. It is the season of 古桐花 and there were so many flowers falling like specks of snow as we hiked. It was really touching to know my auntie came to climb the mountain just to see me, even though she had only recovered from an accident..

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home